Monday, August 18, 2008

YAWN!! Very Tired After 3 Days In This Dying City of Youngstown

So my only comment to add to the myriad that has been said and written about appearing on Forbes list of dying cities is......Balderdash, Balderdash I say. So here is how my last three days played out. Friday I brought aboard 2 people to assist us in all the work that has been coming to us here at Accent Media, from this supposedly dying region. We really have been working like crazy here lately, and have a lot more projects coming down the pike. It is with a lot of happiness that I can welcome, and maybe now breathe a bit, with the addition of Bill Mease, as a part-time editor and web designer, and Jake Blasko as an Intern assistant in web building and graphic design. It's exciting to find both talent and dedication out there amongst the peoples of the Valley who are looking for jobs in the creative fields and have so much to bring to the table.


Friday also called for a meeting about a new entertainment venue that we are working in conjunction with to bring to Youngstown, that looks like it's heading in the right direction and should be announced soon. I relaxed in the evening with a casual outside dining experience in the area, a little music and for dessert, ribs at the burn-off, (hey chubby people have weird dessert cravings, lol.) Saturday morning featured a trip to the Farmers Market in the Northside, and was another round of bringing people to the Rib burn off at the Chevy Centre, but alas, they would not let me stay to hear "Dust in the Wind", by Kansas. Sunday had me stopping in for a meeting about publicity for conducting a Pride week for our area GLBT community, and a loud and crazy stop at the Vexfest in downtown, (are we really supposed to fit that many people into one block?' Let's go up to Wood street next year huh?). Maybe Forbes will fill in for me a bit here at Accent, so I can get some nap time after all the stuff going on in this dying city..............Scott


P.S. I forgot to talk about the extra long light I waited through on my way to McD's for my sweet tea to get me through the morning(thank you mr. traffic cop), for the nice people to cross 5th street over to YSU for Summer Graduation. Congrats to former Intern Daniel Mamoun in his graduation. Yup, yup, lots going on in this here dying city. Balderdash I say!!

4 comments:

Dubya said...

Hard to believe so many great things are happening in such a dead city! Thanks for being a part of our publicity committee, Mr. Great Idea Man!!

Debra Weaver said...

I concur, I'm exhausted. I did the Brier Hill Festival and a pow wow. www.youngstownmoxie.blogspot.com

Lucy said...

It was a delightfully full weekend in the Yo, and next weekend is shaping up to be a fun one too. I'm excited about the Pickle Brothers performing at the Northside Farmer's Market (10:30-11:30) and about the Oakland's Free Open House Saturday night.

Dying? I see nothing but life!

See I'm Lucy from your blog now!

Anonymous said...

So where did you guys get the kool aid? Have you ever been to another city? Nearly all the businesses have left, along with 130,000 people and you deny it is a dying city???